Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Post! (About your blogger and other boring technicalities)

So I guess this is how you make a blog post?

It's been almost a month since I moved to NYC from a Connecticut suburb, and my mother (the ultimate stage-mom) has suggested I create a blog documenting what it's like to be a teen in New York. Since I have so much free time between my absurd amount of required classes, I took her up on the offer. Let's see how long this lasts.

Okay, so who am I, and why would you want to read my blog?
My name is Merrill; some people call me Mer, other people call me Blondie, and others refer to me as "That girl over there". I'll really answer to anything as long as you're looking at / pointing at me, because I'm generally way too embarrassed to correct you. I also really wanted the URL "Womanhattan", but upon researching the title, I discovered that the URL had been taken by a blog written in a language that I don't understand, which has not been updated since 2005. Alas, such is life.  

Me looking fresh in Sepia in front of this fancy-ass bridge in Brooklyn.
I'm 18 years old and a freshman at the Fashion Institute of Technology. My major is called Visual Presentation and Exhibition Design, also known as VPED, and is a mixture of various elements, which still confuses me. Since my major is so tiny, I have gotten used to trying to explain the major, and I have finally settled on saying that it is a mixture of styling, merchandising, event planning, and exhibition design, among other things. Confusing, yes, but incredibly interesting.

My classes consist of the following:
  • Design and Rendering (somewhat of an architecture class mixed with exhibition design. I'll update you all as soon as I figure out what the hell this class is about)
  • Yoga (namaste, bitch)
  • Photography
  • Professional Practices (learning about the different parts of the fashion industry)
  • Drawing
  • Product Presentation/ Studio Design (photo styling and the creation of window displays)
  • Display Graphics (a fancy way of saying Graphic Design. Still trying to figure out why they did that)

I haven't decided how often I'm going to post (I'm lazy and indecisive), but I guess we'll all find out. If you've read this far: Hey, You're awesome. Thanks for coming. 

Much love,

2 comments:

  1. I loved it and think you are great! your mom is a so right :). I look forward to more posts and following your journey! And of course your beautiful photos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it up Sheldon?!!! You're bloody brilliant xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete